The federal government has decided on Thursday, March 12, to inforce measures to stem the outbreak of the coronavirus. The Council had decided, together with its safety services, to translate these measure for Vilvoorde.
The recent measures will be enforced as of Friday, March 13 at midnight and will continue till April 3. Developments will be monitored closely on a day-to-day basis. There is no need for panic. By abiding to these rules, we all can do our bit to stem the outbreak of the coronavirus.
Wat are the implications for Vilvoorde?
The city council follows the directives and measures of the National Security Council and the federal government.
Schools and childcare
All lessons are suspended. Childcare will be organised for those pupils whose parents are not able to provide for care or for those pupils who would otherwise be in the care of their grandparent.
Nurseries will remain open.
Commercial and recreational activities
- All activities are cancelled, regardless of the size of the event and whether they are public or private.
- Discos, bars and restaurants, among other locations, remain closed.
- Hotels will remain open, except for their restaurant.
- Home delivery and drive-in are allowed.
- Shops will be open during the week, but not on weekends.
- The same rule applies to the markets. The weekly Wednesday market will take place as usual. The Saturday market will only have food stands. Flea markets are cancelled.
- Food stores and pharmacies will be open, even on weekends. However, they are advised to step up hygiene measures following the recommendations already made.
We emphasize that hoarding is unnecessary. Stocks in stores are not compromised and will stay guaranteed.
- City services remain guaranteed. The city council calls all civilians to contact the services by phone or mail for less urgent transactions. Civilians who are ill or have flu-like symptoms are asked to stay home.
- The library will be closed at least until April 3.
- All sports and cultural infrastructure of the city is closed for all activities at least until April 3. This is also the case for the rental of rooms in the city schools.
- Swimming pool t Zeepaardje is closed at least until April 3.
- All activities, shows and rentals in cc Het Bolwerk are cancelled at least until April 3.
Police district Vilvoorde Machelen
Headquarters (Zennelaan) is opened permanently and can be contacted via tel. 02 253 33 33.
The reception desk at the neighbourhood offices will be temporarily closed at least until April 3.
Public transport will continue to function normally, but trips should be limited to only those that are necessary. Flexible working times should prevent overloading public transport.
Finally, we would like to remind you that basic hygiene measures still apply, i.e. washing hands with soap, coughing and sneezing into your elbow and avoiding close contact. If you have the slightest doubt, consult your physician. Everyone should do their part to limit the spread of the virus.
FAQ and more information
The following telephone numbers are available to all citizens who have questions:
- for questions concerning health and public order: 0800/14.689,
- for questions about the economy: 0800/120.33.